Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Algebra


We have a magnetic whiteboard that has recently become my best friend.

We've had it for a long time and it has actually been stored next to Hunter's dresser for several months now, but we never used it. It was covered in magnetic alphabet letters (not the ones shown around the border, but the 3D kind) with the intention of using it for reading games, yet it never got taken out.

Recently, however, while I was doing a major room re-organization, I took all the alphabet letters and put them in a large, clear jar, and they now sit decoratively (and functionally) on a low shelf for us to pull out when needed. I did the same thing to a set of magnetic numerals that we have. Ever since I did that, we have been using the whiteboard every day and I have really begun to like it.

We've been mostly using it for math. We have been using it to demonstrate equal fractions, and other simple arithmetic equations. And every morning, I have been laying out a simple algebra equation for him to solve when he wakes up. He loves the algebra equations and thinks they are hilarious. We get excited about finding the "mystery" of the silly "y". I write out the equation and then, to the side, put three multiple choices for him to pick from. The multiple choice not only helps it be a problem-solving opportunity versus a test, but it also helps him have a visual for the numeral he wants to write, as he is still getting used to writing all of his numerals.

But, I really love this board recently, and we have also been using it for reading, drawing, and illustrating anything that may come up, whether it's a map of Abraham's journey or a picture from Hunter's imagination, it's easy to write it up and then wipe it off when you're done for unlimited use.

"...choose you this day whom ye will serve... but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15

Hunter is 4 years, 3 months old

1 comment:

  1. That is so awesome. It's so neat that we are able to teach our young children things that even adults ave trouble with. :)

    We love the dry erase board. My son gets has so much fun watching me write words and draw pitures for everything that he demands.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!