Saturday, September 13, 2008

A puddle so big you could swim in it


I am a bit of an impulsive parent, sometimes.

There are a lot of things I did as a kid which, now that I'm a parent, I think, How could my parents let me do that? Like climbing a hundred feet up in the air in a wobbly trees. Or building crazy forts out of junk. Or playing endless hours by railroad tracks.

Now, not necessarily saying Hunter will do those things but, still, I sometimes am a little on the wild side in my parenting. I want Hunter to have good, wholesome adventure in his life, and not have to go out looking for it in video games or drugs or wherever kids tend to get their "excitement" fix these days.

Which explains why, today, I took Hunter down the road to a baseball field. Which was completely flooded. Like five-feet of water flooded.

And even though at first, I was a bit hesitant (considering, we were about to go somewhere in a half hour!), I still let him go from dabbling his finger in the edge of this "giant puddle" to stripping down to his boxers and having a swim.

And in complete honesty, if it was as easy for me to redress myself, I would have gone swimming too. Just because I'm a little bit crazy like that.

He had fun. And even though it was a bit of an inconvenience, summer is almost over so might as well get what you can while it's here.

After all, life's too short to let it pass you by without doing the inconvenient sometimes. Which includes taking time to splash in the puddles. Or sometimes, swim in them.





"The floods have lifted up, O LORD, the floods have lifted up their voice; the floods lift up their waves. The LORD on high is mightier than the noise of many waters, yea, than the mighty waves of the sea."
Psalm 93:3-4

Hunter is 3 years, 5 months old

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!