Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A Day Off to Visit Mummies: Exploring Interests

Mummies at the Museum
A few days ago I wrote about Hunter's sparked interest in Ancient Egypt.
We read something about Ancient Egyptian tombs one night, and afterwards he decided to start endlessly Googling all things Ancient Egypt. When he discovered that most mummies are no longer in pyramids but rather in museums, he enthusiastically asked if we could go to a museum and see some real mummies.
Mummies at the Museum
So a few days later, we did.
Mummies at the Museum
We saw lots of real mummies. Adult mummies, child mummies, cat and bird mummies. Mummies in coffins, mummies out of coffins, mummies unwrapped.
Mummies at the Museum
We saw a lot of cool stuff about the mummification process.
Mummies at the Museum
We also saw lots of other cool stuff, like real Egyptian scrolls.
Mummies at the Museum
And statues of the Egyptian gods.
Mummies at the Museum
And real hieroglyphs.
Mummies at the Museum
And lots of other really neat artifacts.
The exhibit was huge, and Hunter was running around like a kid in a candy store.
We have been to lots of museums in his short life but I have never seen him this excited about any of them.
I love being able to fuel my kid's interests. I love being able to take the day off of school and really make learning come alive. I love that I can customize his education to what he's interested in. I love the quality time together learning and exploring as a family. I love imparting the value of the love of knowledge and inquisition to my child.
It is days like this I remember, why I love homeschooling so much.
"And Abram went up out of Egypt, he, and his wife, and all that he had, and Lot with him, into the south." Genesis 13:1
Hunter is 7 years, 7 months old

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!