Monday, July 16, 2012

7.15.12 Week in Review - Sickness and Getting By (ages 13 months and 7 years)

 

Damien playing with a friend for a little while on a morning that I thought he was better, only for his fever to come back later that day

This week I learned an important lesson: mainly, that when your 13 month old is sick, they can revert to acting like a 13 week old, but with all that extra toddler power.

The poor, feverish mess wanted to be held nonstop, nursed nonstop, cuddled nonstop, and oh-my-goodness if I even dared walk out of the room to go get something I was in for a serious meltdown.

And that is how my week went, folks. Holding and cuddling and nursing a feverish little one all day, and all night, and did these germs not get the notice that it is July? And that kids are supposed to be swimming and running around outside in July, not watching Baby Einstein on YouTube (our guilty pleasure) and downing orange flavored motrin?

Apparently not.

And it doesn't help that the entire week before, Hunter had this same fever, then literally the day he was all the way better, little Damien woke up with it. It definitely would have been easier if they would have just both been sick at the same time - at least we could've just gotten it over with and moved on.

So you know what? All of the plans I had for last week are probably going to get carried over, hopefully. Since next week is - gasp - homecoming week.

Did I mention that my husband has been deployed for the last eight months? No? Oh yes, that's right, I don't talk about deployments on this blog until they're over. Just a personal safety and privacy preference.

But he has been. And it's been rough. And I've got a lot of things to write about it.

But back to next week...

DSC_0210_new

Dad is coming home. So the first few days of the week might be a little hectic as we get all the little details ready for his homecoming, and then the rest of the week might just be spend in oohing and ahhing bliss. Over the weekend, we are going camping, in the mountains, by a lake. So these kids had better be feeling fantastic by then, that's all I'm saying!

In spite of Damien's sickness, Hunter had a fantastic week at VBS. He is really at a fun age for that type of thing, and just had a great time with all of the activities and telling me about the stories and Bible verses he learned.

He did not really do much other school work. And Damien? He did have a lot of reading time. That boy is always up for a good book. And he also went on the potty a lot which was helpful.

But pretty much everything else, school wise, fell by the wayside. I am trying not to beat myself up about it too much. It just happens sometimes.

It's Sunday night and Damien still isn't at his best, but I am hoping that he gets back to himself by tomorrow.

My goal for this week - enjoy Dad being back. Get some reading in, and a bit of math. And since, prayerfully, we won't have sick kids anymore, get back to the pool.

"Wherefore I perceive that there is nothing better, than that a man should rejoice in his own works; for that is his portion: for who shall bring him to see what shall be after him?"
Ecclesiastes 3:22
Hunter is 7 years, 3 months old ("2nd" grade)
Damien is 13 months, 1 week old (grade "K1")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!