Thursday, October 30, 2008

Math Dots



I believe that I have about a dozen videos similar to this. I am coming close to giving up on the whole idea of video-taping our math sessions.

We will be happily playing a math game, he will daily blow my mind at the equations he solves and at the numbers he differentiates (telling the difference between 99 and 98 dots, etc.) and then as soon as I pull the video camera out, he becomes distracted, or will pick the incorrect answer, etc.

In this particular video I have resorted to bribery (via candy) and, he carefully picks the correct answer the first time but, when I ask him again he is unconcerned and gives me the wrong one. As Doman says in one of his books,

"If he begins to give incorrect answers, particularly where he has succeeded easily in the past, you should harbor a deep suspicion that he is pulling your leg."

I guess all I can say is, oh well. I probably am not going to give up on the video taping idea permanently but, I do know that the most important thing is not that I can "prove" to everyone that my son can do math - the important thing is that he understands and appreciates mathematics, and if we succeed at that, I am perfectly content.


"...I will surely do thee good, and make thy seed as the sand of the sea, which cannot be numbered for multitude. "
Genesis 32:12

Hunter is 3 years, 7 months old  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!