Thursday, April 23, 2009

Mud

Hunter and Anthony had a fun little encounter with nature today - in the mud.

They were playing in the backyard and wandered back by the garden area, and when I went back to check on them they had both been dabbling their fingers in a bucket full of mud!

My first reaction was to say, Hey, get out of there. But, for just a moment I saw life through the eyes of a little kid. I remembered all the many hours my sisters and I used to spend making mud pies near the laundry drain outside the kitchen window. I remembered the feeling of mud between my toes walking down by the creek near by the nursing home, and the same sensation walking through our freshly plowed urban garden every spring. I remembered the mud fight we had in sixth grade, and the muddy pond we waded through at church camp, and...

Well, I think you get the point.

Nonetheless, I looked at them, smiled, and said, "Go on, dig in!" They got the most satisfied smile on their faces and then, cautiously at first, started kneading through a bucket of dirt and water that had been left out last fall.

Let's just say they really enjoyed it.






"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."
Psalm 40:2

Hunter is 4 years, 1 month old
Anthony is 2 years, 5 month old

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!